Brett McCracken (author and editor at The Gospel Coalition) was the guest on a recent episode. Toward the end of the episode, Medders asked McCracken for his best writing advice. The advice was so good, I thought I’d jot it down here. To get the full explanation behind each nugget, listen to the episode! (The advice starts around the 29 minute mark.)
- Good writers are good readers. Read a lot, and read broadly.
- Be curious about the world. Expose yourself to all sorts of inspiration.
- Make interesting and unexpected connections.
- The habit of writing is essential. Find daily rhythms of writing.
- A good piece of writing is made in the editing process.
- Be unexpected in your ideas and your writing.
- Avoid the hot take. Take a considered approach; don’t rush to be the first to say something.